Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Super Fast and Super Good Dinner Tonight: “Barbecued” Chicken-and-Black Bean Burritos


Tonight I had to make dinner super fast. I got home at 5:20 and my kiddo needed to be in bed, or heading to bed, by 6:00 – 6:30. He works for UPS loading the package cars, and is currently starting work at 3 am, meaning he is up at 2:30 so he can eat breakfast before work. Yes, he CAN make dinner on his own, but he had arrived home at only 5:15 himself, and we like to eat together at least a few times a week.

Anyhow, this dinner is one of my favorites, and in my mind, a Cooking Light Classic. I use Cooking Light recipes almost exclusively. I’m not creative enough to make my own recipes, so I trust Cooking Light to do the “work” for me. I’ve been a subscriber to the magazine for 10 years, and have the Annual Recipes cookbooks since 2000, along with a few others.

This recipe, "Barbecue" Chicken-and-Black Bean Burritos, which can be accessed from the Cooking Light website, makes four servings and has 460 calories per serving when made as directed. Add a serving fruit as a side and it is a perfect meal in my opinion. But then, any meal that is done in 30 minutes and is filling, healthy AND tastes good is “perfect” in my book.

It does call for four 10-inch flour tortillas; it is a burrito after all. Despite being from New Mexico, I choose the Mission brand 96% fat free “heart healthy” whole wheat tortillas. These have 140 calories per tortilla, 2 g fat, 0.5 g sat fat (compared to 210 calories, 5 g fat, and 2 g sat fat in their regular 10-inch flour tortillas). Any place that we can cut calories and fat and add some whole grain is great!

Sometimes we have just three burritos and have some leftover “barbecue” chicken-and-black beans. It’s a great lunch the next day without the tortilla too, and even more calorie savings.

Hope you enjoy the recipe and you Eat Well, Live Well, and Be Well.

No comments: