Thursday, October 30, 2008

Sweet Product - Sweet Potatoes


Earlier this week, October 25-28, I was among thousands of other nutrition professionals in Chicago at the American Dietetic Association Food & Nutrition Conference & Expo (FNCE). It is a fantastic time of networking with peers and colleagues and getting together with friends.

One of the best parts of FNCE, and I make my co-workers jealous, is the Expo, where we learn about new products and foods that are or will soon be available to the public. We do get to sample and take home some of these products. I thought I would tell you about some of them over the next several entries.


Ore-Ida Steam n’ Mash Sweet Potatoes (found in the freezer section)

I just love sweet potatoes and I make baked or mashed sweet potatoes year round. Sweet potatoes are one of the most nutritious vegetables you can get your hands on. They are an excellent source of potassium; a great source of Vitamins A, C and E, and fiber is bountiful in them. Also, as with most vegetables, they have no fat and are not too bad in the calorie department.


But, whenever I want mashed sweet potatoes, I generally have to plan ahead by an hour to allot for peeling, cutting and boiling them so they will be done in time to have with the rest of dinner.

This product does the peeling and cutting for us. You can pop the bag in the microwave for 10 minutes, and they are done! You can eat them as is (in the chunks), or mash them up and dress as you normally would. Just remember when you add things to it, you add calories! I’m going to look for them on my next trip to the grocery store.

Eat Well, Live Well, Be Well - today!

No comments: